The Fiji Meteorological Service (FMS) functions as a Department under the Government of Fiji Islands and has the responsibility to provide an essential service to the country. It also serves on a regional scale providing weather forecasting and tropical cyclone warning services to many other countries and a vast area of the tropical South-west Pacific.
The Department has the following major objectives:
- To satisfy Fijis need for the supply of weather and climate data, archive and analyse this data, and based on this, issue forecasts, warnings and other information as required;
- To monitor the climate of Fiji and advise on any changes due to global warming and other factors;
- To provide weather forecast and warning services for other South Pacific Island Nations, as agreed.
- To function as a Regional Specialized Meteorological Centre (RSMC) for tropical cyclones, under the World Weather Watch Programme of the World Meteorological Organization (WMO).
- To serve as the aviation Meteorological Watch Authority (MWA) for the Nadi Flight Information Region (FIR) as per ICAO designation.
- To provide marine forecast and warning services for international waters of the tropical South-west Pacific as per WMO and International Oceanic Commission.
The Department has two main output divisions, namely, the Forecast Services and Climate Services Divisions.There are six support divisions:Computing and Information Systems, Technical Systems, Reporting and Facilities, Services Development, Finance and Administration Division.
Learn more about us at http://www.met.gov.fj/